Friday, February 6, 2009

Out on a limb

Well, I put in my two weeks notice at SOAR yesterday. It has been time for me to go for a while now, but I still feel like I'm going to miss it. I'm working part time at Verizon Wireless/Cellular Sales as a telemarketer, and the job I'm quitting is the ministry position. Seems backwards. But I need to finish my schoolwork and pour myself into the Community, not to mention the two most important relationships in my life (God and Amy). All four of these priorities have been put on the back burner for 5 months now, and it has made life indescribably chaotic (and unfulfilling).
Also, I'm moving out of my house in Old North Knoxville, and into a house in a rough neighborhood in East Knoxville with the Searcy's, Patty, and anyone else that wants to. I must admit, though I am excited about this, there are a few items of discomfort that will surely come up and need to be dealt with. The greatest of these issues is the fact that there will be a (semi-) single guy and a single girl living within the same household with a married couple. The issue of appropriateness is in question. What happens when I am alone with Patty or Rachel, or when Preston is alone with Patty? I know that Amy isn't a fan of this. The Community has discussed future plans to have single male and female homes in the future, but we can't wait to have 3 homes for 4-6 people just yet. The idea of community is living together and supporting one another. We've been warned that there are some real issues that intentional communities have to deal with, but I believe that together, with God's help, we can serve and support one another as we compromise and sacrifice for the benefit of each other's needs.
I think that the biggest thing staring me in the face right now is uncertainty about my direction. I don't have any short term goals, and my long term goals are so vague that it's difficult to know what to work towards. I'm really trying to be attentive to a Word from the LORD. I am definitely going through a time of trial right now, and I fear that I am not proving myself faithful very much. I know that God is unconditionally loving towards me, and that He does everything to bring me where I need to be, but I am so wrapped up in the flesh right now that I often ignore Him and do what I know is harmful to me. I'm reading Brother Lawrence's "The Practice of the Presence of God" right now, and it is convicting me to stop worrying about it so much and to just rest in God. Why is that so hard?

No comments: